Friday, April 13, 2012

The Best Film Ever Made? "The Godfather" Review

This is my very first review ever on this blog and to tell the truth I am actually a lot less nervous than I thought I would be. I have always believed that when you are creating something you should always start strong. So for my first review I sat down and brainstormed to find a film that could give me the strongest start possible and I thought "What is the best film ever made?" Now its important to know that the "best" film and my favorite film are two different things. The first answer that came to mind was "The Godfather of-course". But then I thought that it might be too cliche to review it and it would also be the obvious choice. Many other films came to mind only to be rejected for one reason or another like "Citizen Kane"(more inovative than actually great), "Star Wars"(I should save it for when I discuss the whole series), "Gone With the Wind"(I haven't seen it yet. Guilty!), "The Wizard of Oz"(Not really appropriate for a first review), and "Forrest Gump"(A modern classic but I should focus more on an older classic for the first time). As much as I tried to find ways around it I inevitably landed back on "The Godfather" and realized that it is truly the best movie ever made although not necessarily my favorite. So without further  delay here is the very first Mike's Review.


     "The Godfater" is the story of the Corleone family. The family is made up of Vito Corleone, played by Marlon Brando in an Oscar wining role (although he did decline to accept the award), his sons Sonny, Michael, Fredo, played by James Caan, Al Pacino, and John Cazale respectively, his daughter Connie played by Talia Shire and many other family members that all get developed as much as they need to. Vito is the head of the family and is referred to as the Don or simply "Godfather". He is truly a character that is so well written we don't even care that he has such a small amount of screen-time compared to how much he is advertised as a lead. Brando gives such an excellent performance it is almost scary. There are moments in the film where you would have a difficult time remembering that Vito is a fictional character. Michael is the son that doesn't want to be involved in the family's criminal affairs and is happy with his girlfriend Kay played by Diane Keaton.


     Essentially the film is about Michael as it follows the decisions he has to make regarding Kay and becoming involved in the families business. He goes through many changes, has to make many sacrifices and by the end of the film he becomes a man that the audience deserves to see him become. 


     Director Francis Ford Coppola uses the most tricks in the book he can to make the film interesting and thrilling while successfully avoiding overkill. One of the most memorable components of the film is the brilliant music score by Nino Rota which is sometimes menacing and sometimes soothing. 


     After watching this film for the first time I thought it was a joke; I couldn't believe that a film that perfect could actually exist. It was as if someone had scanned my brain and made a film customized to perfectly fit my taste. But this film is not one that only I thought was perfect because it is widely considered to be one of the greatest movies ever. with a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 100 on Metacritic this movie is idiot proof. I cannot guarantee that you will believe it is the best movie ever and I cannot guarantee that you will even like it but I can tell you this: If you haven't seen this movie you owe it to yourself to do so. And if you happen to be one of those people who just doesn't like the movie then you should keep it to yourself.


10/10


What about you? What do you think is the best movie ever made? Remember not your favorite but the best. Vote in this Poll

No comments:

Post a Comment